WILLIAM BERGFELD, JR.
Bill was born in Moulton, Texas, November 25, 1923. He graduated from Seguin High School in 1941 and was president of his FFA Chapter his senior year. He graduated from Texas A&M University Class of 1945 with a BS degree in Animal Husbandry. Bill served in the United States Army during WWII and the Korean Conflict, seeing action in North Africa and Italy, and reached the rank of 1st Lt. and Company Commander. He was the County Extension Agent for Crockett County in Ozona, Texas from 1947 to 1949. He started his business career when he opened Highlands Farm & Ranch Supply in Highlands, Texas in 1951. Moved to Conroe in 1957 and opened Conroe Feeders Supply, and has been recognized for exceptional sales volume by the Ralston Purina Company each of the last 51 years. Bill is currently recognized as part of the Purina Leadership Honor Council. He is a graduate and recognized as a member of the Purina Livestock Advisory Service, Purina Equine Feeding Service, and the Purina Game Management Service.
- A resident of Conroe and Montgomery County for 53 years.
- Member of the Chamber of Commerce for 49 years.
- Served on the Chamber’s Embassy Club.
- Past Chairman of the Board of the Chamber of Commerce.
- Helped organize and served as President of the Montgomery County Trail Riders Association.
- Working with Morris Straughan and Commissioners Court, Bill helped procure the land and begin development of permanent facilities for the Montgomery County Fair Association.
- A Lifetime and Founding Member, he was the first Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Montgomery County Fair Association, and currently serves on that Executive Committee.
- Before the Fairs existence, he organized the first County Steer Show and Sale held in Candy Cane Park.
- Bill has been a buyer at the Montgomery County Fair every year since it’s inception.