Mr. Moore is founder and Chairman of the Board of the Moore Supply Company, formed in 1953 in Conroe, (Now 36 Branches). He also founded Moore Master Warehouse, a national distribution center, in 1993. He is presently Chairman Emeritus of LCR-M.
He attended Nacogdoches Public Schools and is a graduate of The University of Texas at Austin. He served his country in the 102nd Infantry Division in World War II. Lavoy came to Conroe in 1948 from Nacogdoches with Hunt Supply. Here he met and married Anne Gentry. The Moores have three daughters, Susan (Mrs. Jim Pokorski), Bonnie (Mrs. Mark Hanley), Nancy (Mrs. Greg McLemore) and three grandsons. He is a member of First United Methodist Church where he served as chairman of the Administrative Board.
Lavoy recalls the Chamber moving from over Walgreens Drug Store (formerly on Thompson and Simonton) to the Hooper Building in the late 40’s. When the decision was made to build the new Chamber headquarters at 101 West Phillips, Lavoy worked with others in raising the $62,000 needed. He then secured Governor Preston Smith to come to Conroe and dedicate the new building. In 1965/1966, he was called on to chair the commission to write the Home Rule Charter and chair the campaign for it adoption, which culminated in its passage and a win for the City of Conroe.
Many people are not aware that he is a humorist and after dinner speaker. A long time friend remembers him with this comment, “He was a doer – everything he got hold of, he took the bull by the horns and ran with it.”
- President, Conroe Rotary Club (1954/1955)
- President, Montgomery County United Way
- Member, First Board of YMCA (organized in 1967)
- Courier’s Man of the Year Award (1966)
- Vice Chairman, Board of Regents, Stephen F. Austin State University
- President – American Supply Association, 1975
- National “Wholesaler of the Year” –Supply House TIMES,