Workforce / Talent Development
2015 is the year that Generation X and Millenials are projected to replace Baby Boomers as the majority in the workplace. Developing a skilled workforce and leaders for the future are obligations that we take seriously. We must develop and deliver programs that will not only train leaders, but place them in key leadership roles in appropriate organizations within Montgomery County.
Objective 1:Develop and grow the Young Professionals effort intoa model program in the state of Texas. The program will offer social and professional development opportunities and focus on attracting and retaining young professionals. The program should connect, engage, and inspire our young talent through awareness, leadership development and social interaction.
- Benchmark successful programs in other chambers of commerce.
- Galveston (TX) Chamber of Commerce
- Gulf Coast (MS) Chamber of Commerce
- Montgomery (AL) Chamber of Commerce
- Determine the unique needs of our younger professionals.
- Appoint an ad hoc committee (made up of young professionals) to revise, develop and establish the outline for a meaningful, beneficial program for our young professionals.
- Identify the champions and leaders for the program.
- Develop the unique program of work and activities – suggestions include:
- Educational Breakfast / Luncheon series
- Collaborative learning / professional growth opportunities
- CEO Luncheons utilizing key, respected business executives
- Opportunities to interact with business and policy officials.
- After Hours Networking & Business Relationship Building
- Develop marketing materials and social media communications tools designed to attract and retain the desired members.
- Actively engage young professionals in the critical issues and work within the region.
- Make young professionals aware of the philanthropic and service needs in our area.
Objective 2: Partner and promote Leadership Montgomery to the qualified participants and their sponsors.
- Review the curriculum to ensure a relevant, meaningful program.
- Include a leadership skills component in the program curriculum.
- Provide interesting, interactive sessions.
- Utilize appropriate Board members and other relevant, engaging community leaders as program speakers.
- Establish a scholarship program to assist qualified participants who need financial assistance.
Objective 3:Create an active Leadership Montgomery Alumni Association to perpetuate the leadership desire and engagement of our graduates.
- Benchmark successful Alumni programs in other Chambers. Examples:
- Lubbock, TX
- Spartanburg, SC
- Greensboro, NC
- Appoint a Steering Committee to establish policies and direction (with approval of Chamber Board of Directors).
- Establish a process to place graduates on Boards, Commissions, and other leadership positions in the community.
- Create a Speakers Bureau consisting of graduates to address civic clubs and other appropriate organization as to the role & importance of Leadership Montgomery.
Objective 4:Develop and deliver a Junior Leadership program to high school students in our service area.
- Develop curriculum to ensure a program that provides leadership skills training and community overview information so as to prepare the participants for a desire of lifetime service to community.
- Work with high school guidance counselors to identify and attract 30 qualified high school juniors interested in community service.
- Offer appropriate sessions to include an opening team building retreat, trip to Austin, and a graduation banquet.
- Develop a desire among participants to return or remain in Conroe and Montgomery County following college graduation or post- secondary education.
- Track and measure actual student retention results over a 10 year period beginning with the class of 2017.
Objective 5:Offer a Nonprofit Leadership Academy so as to attract younger board members, develop effective board governance, and foster excellence for the important nonprofit service sector impacting our quality of life.
- Establish a task force to research the most successful programs throughout the country. Example:
- Fort Bend Chamber of Commerce
- Develop curriculum that fosters excellent board governance and program delivery.
- Governance and Leadership
- Strategic Planning
- Volunteer Recruitment and Care