RIGBY OWEN, JR.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS, 1976 – 1978
Mr. Owen is the owner of Owen Properties. He moved to Conroe in 1953. He is married to the former Lucinda Woodson of Conroe and they have three children, Deborah, Walter and Rigby III. He is a graduate of the University of Texas, and served as a member of the Student Publications Committee. He and his wife are members of St. James Episcopal Church where he is a Member of Vestry.
Rigby was in the communication field in the Conroe/Montgomery County area for many years as co-owner and publisher of the Conroe courier from 1963 to 1971, co-owner of FM Radio Station 106.9 from 1965 to 1981, and co-owner of AM Radio Station 900 & 880 from 1976 to 1995. During that time he served as President of the Texas Gulf Coast Press Association, and as a director of the Texas Press Association.
He has been an outstanding fundraiser for numerous community causes. He served as fundraising chairman for Montgomery County United Way, the Crighton Theatre Restoration, Montgomery County Law Enforcement Center and Montgomery County Center for the Retarded.
Rigby created the Great Shoot Out to kick off Go Texan Days in February of 1967. This event, held on the courthouse square, entertained thousands of kids and adults. He also created the Great Easter Egg Hunt in 1966 where thousands of kids hunted 45,000 to 65,000 eggs at the Moran Gas property at North Frazier and Loop 336. Houston TV personalities participated each year as hundreds of prizes were given to lucky kids.
- Montgomery county Hospital – Director 1971-1972
- Montgomery county Hospital District – Appointed to first Board, 1978; Elected Director-at-Large 1979-1996; Past President
- Montgomery County United Way – Past President & Director
- 911 Emergency Services – Director
- Metropolitan Child Development Center – Director
- Houston Metropolitan YMCA – Director
- Conroe YMCA – Director
- Little Theatre of Conroe – Charter Member, Past President & Director
- Montgomery Foundation for the Performing Arts – Past President and Director
- Montgomery County Center for the Retarded – Director
- Tri-County MHMR – Director
- North Harris – Montgomery County Community College Foundation – Director
- Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo – Lifetime Member
- Montgomery County Fair Association – Lifetime Member
- Conroe Jaycees
- Conroe Noon Lions
- Conroe Rotary Club
- Conroe’s Man of the Year – 1970
- Greater Houston Area YMCA Volunteer of the Year 1986
- Conroe YMCA Volunteer of the Year 1976
- President’s Key Man Award, Conroe Chamber of Commerce 1986
- Rotary International Paul Harris Fellow
- David Allen Award, 1999, highest honor given by the Greater Houston YMCA
- Conroe Chamber of Commerce Diplomat of the Year