FREDERICK WALTER WOODSON

CHAIRMAN 1941-1942

Mr. Woodson was President and Chairman of the Board of First National Bank in Conroe. Born in Henderson Texas, he moved to Conroe in 1913. He was a graduate of Conroe High School and Southwestern University in Georgetown. He and his wife Lucy had one daughter, Lucinda (Mrs. Rigby Owen, Jr.) and three grandchildren, Walter, Debbie and Rigby Owen III. He followed in his father’s footsteps and became bank president in 1937. New banking quarters were built under his direction at the southwest corner of Davis and N. Thompson. The bank was moved to the new location in 1938. He was a member of First United Methodist Church.

His service to the Chamber took many roles, serving as treasurer in the 1940/1941 term and as a Director from 1943 to 1946. He also served as a Director and Vice President of the East Texas Chamber of Commerce in 1941. He served his community in many civic and business endeavors including the following:

CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS

  • President, Conroe Rotary Club, 1947/1948
  • President San Jacinto Country Club (now Conroe Country Club)
  • Founding member of Montgomery County United Way
  • Board Chairman, Montgomery County United Way

BUSINESS

  • Director, Guaranty Bank, Tomball
  • Director, Citizens State Bank, Hempstead

Back to well of Honor Page